Sunday, July 26, 2009

That's me trying to get fit...

So, once I hit 30 I went from being able to eat anything and still wearing a size 4 (after having a child at 22) to, well, not being able to do that. lol I know, I finally got what was coming to me. :) I worked hard, lost weight to a respectable size for some one of my age. (I've given up thinking at 35 that I could wear a size 4.) Life was good. I was walking, living well, eating well, and doing fine.

Then, I moved.

The move really shook me and changed my routine. I no longer exercised AT ALL. For a while we were eating junky, and I fell into the comfort food of comfort foods... ice cream. Thankfully I have the diet thing under control just because we generally eat well. I just need to exercise! It's been a long time... Needless to say, I'm not feeling like I want to feel. The weight is back on. The good news is that I'm charged up and ready to go!

What is your favorite way to get moving? I don't have the space to exercise indoors like I used to, so I'm looking at walking or running if my knees can take it. I've spied The Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans over at The Berry Patch. After reading through some entries my little eyes spied the entry on C25K - Couch to 5 K. Now this could be exciting. My dog would love it if we got to walk AND run, and the cyclical nature of it sounds good to me. Granted, I would need to run early in the morning before people leave for work... I run nearly as gracefully as Phoebe from that Friends episode. Actually, with my injury record maybe I'm more like Rachel running into the horse. :snort:

C25K is set up with a simple schedule: 3 days each week for 9 weeks. Because I am the type of person that gets seriously off track with too many free days I'm aiming to run the c25k schedule on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays with easier walking days on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays. I get a bit of walking at the market on Saturdays, and the rest of the day is for, well, rest since it is the Sabbath. I don't want to push it but I do want to stay moving. I'm a little nervous that I'll have knee problems and will have to stop running, but I'm going to try!

Here are some links to get you going if you are interested:
The C25K website is HERE complete with forums.
The podcasts for C25K are HERE.
The Couch to 5K running plan is HERE.
The Couch to 5K group on SparkPeople is HERE.
And last but not least, a cool option for podcasts with Christian indie tracks is HERE.


Anyway, the plan is to jump on the exercise bandwagon tomorrow morning. There is nothing like a Monday to get moving! Now, if only I had a running buddy. (See Meagan, if you guys would move closer I could have YOU as a running buddy! lol) Ah well, Asher will have to do. :)



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Good for you! What a great thing to incorporate into your schedule.

I exercise daily for 30-45 minutes on my elliptical. I hope on it right after hubby is done his turn. I love it! Usually first thing before the day gets busy, otherwise during baby's morning nap. I rank it high priority on my daily schedule and try to just get it done so I can get on with the rest of my day. We also jump on the trampoline, go walking, play ball and run around with the kids, ride bikes, and I chase children all day long. I've gotta keep moving or the pounds creep on :) And as I get older, it is hard to get them off!

I hope you and Asher enjoy your walks and runs. Who cares if you're not graceful? You're doing it, and that's what's important! (just don't get injured :)
Have fun! Am cheering you on!

berrypatch said...

I need to get back in to exercise. I do most of mine inside though - walking videos mostly. I find that if I take too much time off (which happened this time), I just stop. I need to get busy again.

Stephanie said...

Sheri - I think that is great! I wish that I had an eliptical or treadmill. But, I'm happy to walk outside. I did get out today, but I figured out that I need to adjust a few things. Easy enough though! Thanks for the cheers! Day one down, and no injury. lol

Lisa - I am the same way! I know that I need to give myself a day of rest, but I have a hard time with it. If I have a day off then it is hard to get started the next day. I think I'm going to do some yoga or just walk in between. I'll keep asking you about it if you keep asking me!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

This sounds interesting. I'll have to check back when I have time to think...I certainly need to do something as I'm now officially at my heaviest EVER.

Stephanie said...

Oh I remember the day a few years ago when I hit my heaviest (including bypassing my pregnancy weight - which was considerable!) Thankfully I have managed to keep it just below that... lol You have certainly had enough on your plate. You'll get there again once you're settled. :)