We've had some changes in our school year already, and it just started. We choose to homeschool year round so that we have the freedom to take breaks when we need them (which, by the way, works out to every 7th week and all of December!) This means that we are already in the swing of our year. Or should be in the swing of the year. We thought we were having a class, then decided to join a new group, swiftly found ourselves in a new portion of the old group, and all felt like we were doing some strange version of homeschool hokey pokey with all of the changes.
Things are finally settled!
We are a second-year Sonlight family. I
Long story short... I need more than a few weeks for subjects like the Civil War and Exploration. I also want to have time to add in world history to the batter. What's history without a broad world view? We didn't get where we are by ourselves! (For my homeschooling buddies - we have always taught history from a classical approach so the idea of not including world history has me baffled. But, this core with Sonlight is just too good to miss...)
Some of the resources that I'm adding include:
Diana Waring's written and audio materials for both Vol 2 Romans, Reformers, and Revolutionaries and Vol 3 World Empires, World Missions, and World Wars.
Streams of Civilization Vol 2 based on the subject/timeline
Teaching Company's Early American History dvd set (this guy is the best!)
Various movies and books
My Audio School (fab website for free goodies)
We're tossing in projects based on her interests, beefing up the papers required by Core 100's LA program, and throwing in some geography from the Diana Waring materials to compliment the geography portion of Core 100. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. We still enjoy read alouds, so we'll be using some of the heavier required reading in this fashion.
For those new to Sonlight please don't take this to mean that Core 100 isn't beefy enough. It is. I just know my kid. :) And, for those using Sonlight, if you want specifics on how I am integrating it, or even what weeks I'm using each resource I'd be glad to share. So far I have the first three weeks figured out. Now, to finish the rest of the 18 that I think we'll cover (and then the remaining 18 that we'll cover next year!)
Thank goodness she'll be taking science through our homeschool group. One less thing to plan. :)

5 comments:
Um, nope, you aren't the only one! I've had it percolating now in my brain for weeks. To make it even more interesting, this year I'm part of the TOS Crew so I'm doing lots of curriculum reviews for them. The bonus: I get to try out new stuff frequently WITHOUT having to buy it & I get to keep it!!! Con: It's pretty hard to plan! But I think it will be fun - at least I hope so! ;-)
How is that going? I saw the offer and thought about it. But with how I fall in love with new products it would be so dangerous for me. lol I can't wait to hear how it is going. I need to catch up on my blog reading!
Oh, I love all these homeschooly details! Thank you for sharing what you do -- I take what info suits my brood and happily use it :)
I take December off too, and love it!
Have you joined a new group? Where are you taking science? Am just curious :)
Sheri (who owes you many emails)
You're not alone. I'm going to have a rolling start this year since we're starting in 2 weeks and I'm not really ready.. oh well.. we can easily start where we left off with the basics - math, spelling, grammar, etc... and add in the other things as I get them figured out.
I love having a rolling start. That is basically what we are doing. We go year round, but our summer goes down to the equivalent of a rolling start. We just include history because we're obsessed... I mean dedicated. :snort:
Post a Comment