My kid just ran up to me and cracked me up.
Her: I think parents made up Santa Claus. And, I think I know why.
Me: Why do you think?
Her: That whole "sees you when you're sleeping thing." That's just to keep kids in line.
Me: Did it work?
Her: Does it look like it?
I almost spit on myself.
We've been having talks about why parents tell their kids about Santa, Easter Bunny, etc. We've also been having the talks about how it factors into our faith, how it is a lie when you come down to it (white lie is still a lie kind of thing), and all of those fun talks. Not to slight anyone who loves Santa at their house. We had Santa come every year, too, complete with Dad tossing nuts and rocks on the roof above her room so she would hear reindeer. We have just taken it the other route now including acknowledging that we wish we hadn't begun that whole cycle in the first place. We won't ruin it for the grandkids though. That's a decision for their mom to make. :)

4 comments:
We've done Santa here from our first Christmas with a 6 month old. Grandpa comes dressed as Santa. We knew we didnt want to lie to the kids so we've also told them from the very start that it is Grandpa who dresses up like Santa and we tell them the story of St. Nick. So, Santa is a fun part of our tradition, but not at all the focus or lied about.
That's really cute! I remember a neighbor's granddad dressing up as Santa for our girl scout troop one year. Man, he looked real. lol I think that it's fun, I just wish that we had done what you did. (I hope I didn't sound bristly or judgmental in my post. I almost didn't write that part!)
Sounded fine to me. I think everyone probably wonders what they should do so I just thought I'd share how we did both.
I'm so glad that you did! If only I had known about it 12 years ago. :)
Post a Comment