Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Breakfast ala Sheri-style

My buddy, Sheri, has the best blog ever. Not opinion. Just fact. She also makes the most amazing dishes. And, the most amazing photos of said dishes. Breakfast called, and I thought that it was finally my chance to make a "Breakfast ala Sheri" style post.

Pure ruin.

First, I reached for the glass of almond milk out of habit when I was thirsty. Oh well. Who needs to see my almond milk? It wasn't the pretty homemade almond milk that I normally make. It was from the carton of Almond Breeze that I picked up on sale for the days that I run out of almonds. (I didn't run out. Someone just opened it because I wasn't on top of making a new batch.)

Next, I plopped two "earth balls" on my plate. Yummy, squishy, earth balls. Another Sheri recipe (which is probably why I had the Sheri-breakfast photo shoot on my mind.) They were safe for a minute.

Toast came next. I made cheezy toast which - to me - is perfect for breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner. I'm not choosy. A nice piece of homemade whole wheat bread with a bit of Earth Balance and a lot of nutritional yeast for a good measure of vitamin B. YUM. Granted, it wasn't MY homemade whole wheat bread. I still can't knead dough till my hand is worked out (arthritis - yuck!) but it was made by the hands of an Amish woman and purchased at the farmer's market last weekend. That has to count for something! ;)

While the toast was getting all, well, toasty in the toaster oven one little earth ball called my name. Oh well, still one for the picture.

I grabbed a farm-fresh apricot from the fridge. (My favorite kind of tongue twister.) This didn't make it long on the plate. Asher, our youngest dog, eyed it like it was peanut butter. I had to eat it. It was in the best interest of the fruit. So, no apricot for the picture.

Well, once the apricot was gone there was no stopping it. I only had one lonely earth ball on the plate and toast in the oven. Not much of a breakfast photo, so, I ate it too! Everyone has seen a picture of toast (though not this cheezy!) so I scrapped the idea of a Breakfast ala Sheri post.

I do, however have a picture of my earth balls!


This is one of my most favorite things to make. It's a great "dump" recipe. Whatever is on hand, dump it into a food processor and go. Sheri was kind enough to tell me how she makes hers, and I just went from there. I have a basic start with some type of raw nut and add to it some organic medjool dates and dried things of various sorts. No two batches are every the same. And, additions are never measured unfortunately!

This batch started with raw cashews (soaked), 5 organic medjool dates (I know this only because I added one too many I think! Too sticky!) and a lot of everything else. I tossed in some freshly ground flax meal, hemp seeds, chia seeds (thanks Sheri!), dried goji berries and cranberries, a bit of organic black strap molasses, some rolled oats, and some raw pumpkin seeds. Yum. I think there may have been more, but since I was on a dumping roll I can't be certain. Normally I just roll these guys and toss them in the fridge. But, because I varied it this time with too many dates and not enough nuts/dry ingredients they turned out a bit sticky. This batch got a light roll in some ground pecans. Makes 'em p-r-e-t-t-y!

I have to be really careful with these because I could easily sit and eat the entire batch. However, this morning I showed good self control and only ate two. Now, later there might be a few more but one can never tell...

(Big hugs to Sheri. Hopefully it was ok to link to you! :) )

9 comments:

Cynthia said...

They look YUMMY!

Stephanie said...

They are yummy! You can mix it up. They are like brownie batter. lol Oh- I added carob powder. I knew that I forgot something!

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm.....if i had a car i would come over and share in the yummy goodness that is EARTH BALLS.

being nothing close to all natural, even i LOVE them!!! in a word....amazing.

i love the new blog steph. i will faithfully read it. :)
we love you.

meagan

Stephanie said...

he he - I know you love them. Because after all, you have good taste! :D I need to make some avocado pudding too. MMMM..... Glad you like it. I'm glad that you found it. I haven't even send out announcements yet. lol Did you pop over from the old one?

Char said...

I will have to make them some time.
I occasionally check out Sheri's blog and I really enjoy it!

Stephanie said...

Char - they are so easy, and the boys would love them! Oh the shapes they can make. lol

Anonymous said...

Stephanie! What a cute new blog! I love the story behind the unique blog name, too :) Your family stories always crack me up (still love the word "airish" and have been using it lots)

Thanks for all the link-love! I appreciate it!

Your breakfast-post was very entertaining...especially the line "it was in the best interest of the fruit...". Cracked me up!

And your earth balls look so good rolled in crushed pecans! Am going to try that for my brood.

Glad to see you blogging again, I've missed your posts.
xo Sheri

Char said...

Where do you purchase your ingredients? I can't ever find all this stuff at a regular store. I must be looking at the wrong store!

Stephanie said...

Sheri - thanks! You deserve as much link-love as one can throw to you! Miss seeing you lately!

Charity - Whole Foods is great for a lot of it, but I think Amazon is where Sheri gets her chia seeds. Right Sheri? I was lucky to have been gifted some. But, I need to buy quite a bit more. We love it. :)