Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What was that "sometimes frustrated" part again?

It's up there in white with a nice little splash of cheery green.

"...the musings of a sometimes frustrated (but always thankful) homeschool mom"

So, here comes the first frustration. It was bound to happen.

I'm sitting here staring down my homeschool planner knowing that because we are going to be part of two - yes TWO - homeschool groups this year I need to be organized. I also need to really make time for what we need to include. I also need to really make time for what we want to include. In order to do this it means cleaning out the sludge. (By sludge, I mean anything that gums up the works, weighs down the week, or is just generally mucky.) Now, to decide what the sludge is. The irony of the situation that I've gotten myself in is that I'm the one that has preached an open and flexible schedule for years. :P

I know that I want to include Nature Study this year. My kid is growing up way too fast. I'm already having regrets (I wish I had spent more time unschooling the early years instead of going full steam, even though she loved it.) I am staring down only having a handful plus one year left. I also am fully aware that my kid is very much an immersion learning. She likes to jump in deep and wade long. She also needs a good amount of interest-led moving and grooving to keep away the grumps. Both require time. So, gotta get rid of the sludge.

How do you cut sludge while still remaining challenging?

I'm frustrated with having to rework a plan. I have way-too-high standards, and I'm finding myself adding too much that I shouldn't have to add. I love Sonlight. LOVE it. Unfortunately my kid needs Sonlight on steroids. :sigh: I could keep adding and beef it up. I could have her finish two cores this year. She could do it. But, I want to go S L O W E R through the time period, not speed up! Whine. Moan. Spit.

Last year I wrote several unit studies and was encouraged by some friends and family to give them a whirl on the auction block. I farmed out a few to some people who were going to use them and review them. Not a one stayed in touch or followed through on their end of the deal. I shelved the idea when the kid got sick last year. Now, with reworking our plan I'm thinking that I might end up writing another one on Medieval/Renaissance topics. That idea brought back the idea of selling them. (Affordable e-book unit studies for middle to high school, cough, plug... lol) Well, if I'm writing one I might as well write another for the next unit. And, if I try to sell them I definitely want to use them with the kid. I've put together our units nearly every year since we began homeschooling nine years ago. It shouldn't surprise me that I'm looking at it again. (Don't tell my husband. I don't want him to think we are wasting money on already purchased items. lol) Dilema. Whine. Moan. Spit.

THEN... those wicked women over at Heart of the Matter (kidding - they are lovely, each one) had to go have an online conference this week. I love listening to homeschool-oriented speakers. I listened to Sue Patrick (Workbox System) among others, and now I'm dying to try out some of her learning poster and PowerPoint ideas. (Note to self... head to Target for more magazine files. Our version of a system since we don't have room for a rack of boxes. They fit fabulously in our school bookcase! Ours are pretty metal mesh. Ooohhh.... aaahhhh....) More things to figure out. No whining or moaning. This one is actually fun. lol

Planning for me is usually completed long before now. Nothing has been normal about this year. lol The move in April really tossed the salad into the air. Granted, 90% of the greens landed back in the bowl, but I'm still looking for that one crouton that flew over by the stove.

Ok, so we covered the "sometimes frustrated" part. Now for the thankful portion....

What I'm thankful for today:
~ I'm thankful that I have a home in this changing economy.
~ I'm thankful that the sun is shining. For me, this is huge. I get crabby in bad weather. :)
~ I'm thankful that I am blessed with friends (IRL and online) and family who make me smile.
~ I'm thankful that my kid is healthy.

Sometimes frustrated, always thankful. :)



An Old Irish Blessing:
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.




4 comments:

berrypatch said...

I'll be reviewing Sue Patrick's system (I think!) for TOS next month. And you may find this link interesting:
http://docs.google.com/View?docID=dwstdgn_447mphsmf8&revision=_latest

I'm with you though - I typically have my new year all planned by APRIL! I'm still struggling to get going. I know what i want to do, but I just can't seem to get organized. Blah!

Cynthia said...

I had hoped to have our workboxes up and running this week, but that didn't happen.

Stephanie said...

Lisa - OH! This is great! You are my workbox hero! I'm so excited! Maybe this will be what gets me organized enough to actually, well, organize this weekend! Of course, I'm back to needing to plan so there is something actually IN my workboxes. lol

Cynthia - You and me both. Hasn't happened yet. What type are you setting up? Are you using it with just your little guy or with all of them? I can't wait to see how nicely you put them together. You are the organizing queen!

Cynthia said...

I'm using the rubbermaid drawers for the 2 boys - 7th grade and 1st grade. Not sure yet about dd in 11th grade. I may just use the workstrip for her since she has mostly books and not the game, messy, bulky stuff the boys have. What did you decide on?

I printed our # grid and numbers so I can have them laminated in town tomorrow and I bought some velcro. Hopefully I can assemble them this weekend.